Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's the most won-der-ful time... of the year.

Okay, so... second post. Took some time, but I'm in college and I have finals, so yea. Anyway, its December, merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, happy Kwanzaa. All the songs of happiness and love and giving.... sure. Now, my family is split religion wise, but my father is Catholic, so we do the whole Christmas debacle. I don't know how you people deal with the holidays, but mine is full of chaos. The world has so many more scrooges nowadays. If you didn't get your kid a Christmas present, what would he or she do? Throw a tantrum that's what. I am all for the giving and receiving of gifts, but people use to see the world for peace around this time. Now it is a time for sales.

All I have been hearing about is the economy is down and Christmas won't be the same. Call me crazy, but I don't recall ol' Saint Nick promoting money. This year on black friday a man was murdered in New York. MURDERED, customers slammed open the door and trampled him to death, all to buy some good presents for Christmas and get a couple of things for a few bucks cheaper. Now that's the Christmas spirit. Where has all the innocence gone?

Have you watched T.V. lately? I recently saw a commercial with two men naming all of the reindeer. Each time he named one, some modelesque woman in tiny clothing would get out of a car. What a pimp Santa has become. What are we really teaching our children? Remember all the songs that sung "Peace on Earth". It doesn't even make sense. Sure there are songs like the "twelve pains of Christmas" and twisted Christmas cd's, but holidays should still be about love and peace.

Oh, and something my mother and I noticed while trying to do a bit of shopping with the little money we had. It was close to Thanksgiving, and we needed food and a few odds and ends to cook in/with. Anyway, every , I don't know thirty seconds, we were asked to donate to all of these places. I understand it's the holidays, put out a bucket, if I am a giving person and I have an extra buck or two I will drop it in. But lets be realistic here, when people put you on the spot like that it isn't the funnest thing. Sure, I wish i had a twenty for every single person who asked for a donation for some charity. Hate to break it to ya, we are poor and can barely afford our own lives, the economy is in a slump if you didn't know. (sarcasm yea). It just makes you feel guilty, my mom and I felt bad we couldn't give money, but hey, we do not have any money to give.

Now, don't jump to conclusions. I love this time of year, I'm off break from school and get to be with my family. However, not all are so lucky. I truly love those moments with family, watching a holiday movie with some clay characters (the year without a santa clause is my FAV) drinking hot cocoa and thanking the heavens that you have what you do. I think everyone should be lucky enough to have those moments. Sure, America isn't perfect right now, and we all know people have their issues and problems in life, but let's all get into the holiday spirit! No one loves anything more than to sing along to domenic the donkey and dance around to rocking around the christmas tree =). You know you can't not sing along to those songs, and for my Jewish friends, Adam Sandler's stuff.

tips: make presents, don't worry about buying something fancy, i am sure it isn't a necessity to their living. I am doing it. Tuition doesn't leave money for presents, but I am pretty creative so I am all good. And if you personally want a cheap gift that lasts and is AWESOME. Touch'd by Rachel. Yea it is my mom, but the stuff is AMAZING. Body products, bath butter, sugar scrubs, moisture mist. Goooooood stuff. lol

Ending on a happy note, yea the world is greedy, yea there is poverty and problems, yea people don't all have the morals they used to, but it is still "the most won-der-ful time. of the yearrrr".


Happy Holidays =)

No comments: